Saturday, May 13, 2017

#Adulting

One of the greatest problems we face as a growing country is immaturity in our generations. Growth can not happen if we ourselves do not develop our minds and bodies. On the same note, parents need to start teaching their child at a young age to expect the demands of real work. This is how we can prepare the next generation for life and prevent a generation of lazy _______ (enter appropriate word here).
                            Image result for red forman                          
 The argument in the article, "How to Raise an American Adult", makes us wonder... what does 'adulting' really qualify? It has now become a trend to call engaging in adult behaviors 'adulting' as if one was detached from that role. But what we are seeing a lot of today is the never ending stage of adolescence. Early 20's adults are showing less difference from a ten year old than they were a few years ago. This pointed out that more people ages 18-34 are more likely to continue living with their parents instead of with a spouse or getting their own living space. Finding your own place is a big part of the responsibilities you will need to commit to, but at the same time it is partially the parents fault. 1) They continue to let their now grown up child live there and 2) they don't seem to push them to do more with their lives. Yes, there are circumstances that an young adult lives with their parents and it is perfectly fine. But one thing my parents made clear with me (and especially my siblings); "You cannot live here past 18 if you are not doing something with your life, we won't support you if you are being lazy and not trying."

"Too many of our children simply don’t know what an adult is anymore—or how to become one. Perhaps more problematic, older generations have forgotten that we need to teach them."
                                            -Ben Sasse
Image result for child flourishing 
Many parents will set up ways to have their child flourish. What I mean by that is they give them chores, teach them how to change a flat tire, or even put them in charge of making something. Because the fact of the matter is, people are going into college and they sometimes don't even know how to do laundry or wash dishes. How are adults setting the way for the next generation? By handing them a phone and saying, "go wild." 

Even here in Yuba City, our schooling systems do not teach us how to be prepared for a life after high school. All they care about is getting into college but not teaching us other important parts of life. My college counselor, Colleen Lamon, says that we are some of the most immature kids because we do not know how to handle adult responsibilities. And not immature as in acting weird; immature as in we aren't getting the hang of things. Not once have I been in a class that teaches about taxes or how to balance a checkbook or things that we will inevitably have to know one way or the other. When I started my job, I had to fill out a W-4 form and I had no idea what to do. But when I recently filled it out again for a new job I knew what I was doing. Little things like that. I didn't have to call my parents to ask what to do and it felt satisfying.



I know that for me, if I was left with a task and little instruction on what to do, I would be very worried. I ask a lot of questions, I want to make sure I'm doing _____ right. But I would have to say that sometimes we need to just figure it out on our own, that's how we grow, by making a way for ourselves and connecting with other people for economic, mental, and physical growth.
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment